Federal court smacks down Trump’s attempt to end DACA

Another federal judge has ruled against the Trump administration’s attempt to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for undocumented immigrants brought into the U.S. as children.

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis issued an injunction against the Trump administration in a New York City court stopping it from ending the program while litigation surrounding DACA works its way through the court system. Garaufis ruled that the Obama-era program could not be halted “pending a decision on the merits of these cases.”

“Defendants thus must continue processing both initial DACA applications and DACA renewal requests under the same terms and conditions that applied before September 5, 2017, subject to the limitations described below,” Garaufis ordered.

This is the second ruling on DACA that has gone against the Trump administration, as a federal judge in San Francisco last month ordered that submitted DACA applications must still be processed. The Trump administration has requested that the Supreme Court review that court’s decision, but the Supreme Court has not indicated whether or not it will hear the case.

President Donald Trump said he would end the program back in September, telling Congress they had until March 5 to pass comprehensive immigration legislation that included DACA as part of the law. He has since said that any decision on DACA in an immigration bill must also include funding appropriations for his proposed border wall with Mexico.

Hundreds of thousands of people have benefitted from the program, which temporarily shields those brought into the U.S. as children — many of whom have only ever known the U.S. as home — from deportation.

Garaufis was appointed to the bench by former President Bill Clinton.