The Department of Homeland Security will turn over visitor logs for his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, NPR reports.
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, also known as CREW, brought a lawsuit against the Trump administration requesting the records be made available, citing the public’s right to know who has been visiting President Donald Trump as he makes several visits to his favorite property in the Sunshine State.
The New York Times estimates that Trump has visited Mar-a-Lago more than two dozen times since becoming president. Many individuals, including Japan’s President Shinzo Abe, have visited the president there, but it’s unclear just who exactly has made the trip to Florida to see the president while he’s in the estate.
“The public deserves to know who is coming to meet with the president and his staff,” CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder said following his group’s judicial victory.
But Bookbinder added that now that they’ll receive information about Mar-a-Lago that the same principle should apply to visitors that travel to meet with the president at Trump’s main residence — the White House.
“We are glad that as a result of this case, this information will become public for meetings at his his personal residences,” he said, “but it needs to be public for meetings at the White House as well.”
The Trump White House decided earlier this year it would break with an Obama-era practice of making public the meetings the president has at the executive residence. It’s unclear if, as a result of the Mar-a-Lago case, the White House will shift its practices or not.
The Mar-a-Lago records will be turned over to CREW on September 8, the Hill reports.