None of the Charlottesville Nazis who beat Deandre Harris have been charged

If you are still left with any doubts about the prevalence of institutional racism in the United States after the horrific images of hatred, bigotry and violence coming out of Charlottesville this weekend, consider the well-documented beating of Deandre Harris.

Harris, 20, who works as an instructional assistant in a high school special education department, was at the rally to stand against the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis gathered there. Not part of a large crowd, Harris, who is black, spoke out against the growing number of bigots.

In response, he was chased into a parking garage and severely beaten by the white supremacist protesters. Armed with pipes and poles and boards, the gang of far-right terrorists left Harris with a concussion, a broken wrist, a gash in his head that needed to be stapled shut and a chipped tooth.

It’s been days since the incident, and police have not made any arrests. Many of the suspects, who police say are not Virginia residents, are now far from their jurisdiction, complicating the investigation. Columnist Shaun King and activists on social media have had to resort to crowdsourcing the investigation to identify Harris’ attackers and are offering a $10,000 reward for information.

And though several attackers have now been exposed, they remained free.

Harris himself said that when he and witnesses to his beating tried to tell the police what happened, they were met with relative indifference.

Now, consider the swift reaction of the Durham County Sheriff’s department to the toppling of a Confederate statue in Durham, NC this week — a statue that even the governor says must go.

After the incident, Sheriff Mike Andrews was quick to say that “no one is getting away” with taking down a statue commemorating those who fought to preserve a society built on chattel slavery.

A man of his word, at least four activists have been arrested and charged with felonies for their role in the action. Granted, they held a press conference in which several admitted to the action and requested amnesty through local governing boards. But Andrews still felt the need to conduct raids on the activists’ residences within a day of the event.

If only law enforcement was as quick to say that “no one is getting away” with severely beating a young man for standing up to white supremacy and hatred.